description

quod pro nobis traditum est

Friday, September 03, 2010

The Mind is a Wonderful Creation

I keep coming back to the news article about the English physicist, Stephen Hawking, and his new book with his idea that God is not needed in the creation of the universe. Obviously, this man is very intelligent so any response I can humbly make to his thought here as a non-scientist is simply simple thoughts.

Hawking writes, "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist."

Apart from his doubt that God has something to do with creation, I appreciate Hawking's observations that creation occurs "from nothing." Also, I like the descriptive "spontaneous creation." There is something to work with here.

The article also shares a quote from Hawking's earlier book, "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

Now, I am the doubter. I do not believe a "complete theory" is possible using human reason. I digress to add that divine revelation helps us to know in part the mind of God, even enough to learn of man's salvation.

I do not doubt Hawking's intellectual capacity. Undoubtedly, it is beyond my comprehension. Still, I think, with his scientific conclusions, that he is making a religious statement.

No comments: