description

quod pro nobis traditum est

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Welcome!

It is a good thing that Pope Benedict XVI is visiting America and is being warmly welcomed. Undoubtedly, there is massive coverage of this event and there will be analsyis for many days to come. On the homefront one Catholic commentator has given us something to chew on here.

I am not one to speak up at church conferences. About the only time I remember doing so it had to do with a question or comment I had in relation to the sanctity of life. When I included the word "dignity" of man in my comments the well-known and respected speaker reminded me that that was language the Catholics used (maybe he was also saying this in reference to the clerical collar I was wearing). I left the conference still wondering what was wrong with the use of the word "dignity" in discussing life matters. Maybe I should have been more concerned that I had been labeled a "Catholic." Regardless, all this is cleared up for me by the above commentator's remarks regarding some differences Pope Benedict XVI has with the theology of Luther. Hope you have time to read them.

We also wish Pope Benedict XVI a Happy Birthday today!

(I may be a Lutheran but why wouldn't his visit be a "good thing"? After all, isn't this the land of religious freedom?)

3 comments:

Fr. Timothy D. May, S.S.P. said...

Here is more on the Pope's visit - an article about Wisconsin Catholics who are traveling to see the Pope.

orrologion said...

I may be Orthodox, but I still wish my Catholic wife and Lutheran & Catholic family Happy Birthdays. 'Tis indeed a good thing. A belated Happy Birthday to all - or, early as the case may be, either being correct.

Fr. Timothy D. May, S.S.P. said...

Thank you for passing on the Birthday greetings (belated or early)!